One of our favourite alternatives to refined sugar in baking, sweet treats and smoothies, lucuma is a super nutritious Peruvian fruit beloved by the Incas who have utilized its natural goodness for centuries.
Often referred to as the ‘Gold of the Incas’, lucuma aids in regulating blood sugar levels, improving digestion and is a great source of plant-based protein and calcium. Additionally, lucuma contains high concentrations of a vast array of nutrients, most namely of the immune supporting variety essential for optimum functioning of the body. Read on for the most notable nutrients that we love.
- Beta-carotene: A precursor of vitamin A, beta-carotene is imperative for the production of this essential vitamin needed for healthy skin, healthy eyes and optimal immune functioning.
- Zinc: Another mode of immune system support, zinc is responsible for a number of different functions in the human body including controlling and regulating immune responses, wound healing and even our ability to learn and memorise.
- Iron: Irons job is to carry oxygen to the muscles and brain and is crucial for both mental and physical performance. Inadequate iron intake can affect how efficiently our body uses energy, low levels resulting in a lack of focus, inhibited athletic performance and an increase in irritability.
- Vitamin B3: Vitamin B3 is crucial for a whole host of bodily functions including maintaining good blood circulation, healthy skin and normal functioning of the brain. Most notably, Vitamin B3 acts as an important aid to the digestive tract in absorbing sufficient carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and lowering and controlling cholesterol levels. New research suggests that this clever vitamin may also help protect against colon inflammation and cancer.
If you’re yet to try this nutritious and delicious addition to your diet, this Acai Berry Bowl recipe (pictured) by Naturally Sassy will have you hooked once and for all…
Makes 1-2 servings
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp lucuma
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries
- juice 1/2 orange
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 acai sachet/ Serving
Simply blend & voila!
Words by Zsa Zsa Vella