You may have heard of Hasselback potatoes but have you ever tried Hasselback squash? This recipe from California Walnuts would make the perfect centrepiece on your Christmas table this year. This show-stopping side dish will be ideal for those who fancy a veggie Christmas affair… but fear not, non-veggies will be going back for seconds too!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
1 butternut squash, peeled, halved and deseeded (1.3kg)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
75g California Walnuts, chopped plus 25g
½ x 25g pack fresh coriander, chopped, plus extra to serve
2 tbsp chopped chives
150g edamame beans
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Place 1 squash half, flat side down on a chopping board between 2 wooden spoons (to stop the knife cutting all the way through). Made cuts, 0.5cm apart all the way along the squash. Repeat with the other squash half and place both in a roasting tin, push the garlic slices randomly into the cuts.
- Mix 2 tbsp oil with the spices and drizzle over the squash, bake for 40 minutes.
- Mix the 75g walnuts, herbs, lemon zest and remaining oil together and sprinkle over the squash, bake for a further 20 minutes until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, stir fry the beans and remaining 25g walnuts in a drizzle of oil for 1-2 minutes, stirring in the juice of half the lemon at the end. Serve with the squash.
Cooks tip Add harissa paste to the walnut crumb for extra heat.
Recipe by California Walnuts