Whilst exercise and festivals don’t usually go hand in hand, it needn’t be this way. In light of festival season here in the UK, we caught up with FRAME to find out how our festival goers can stay Hip & Healthy this Summer. Over to FRAME…
- Festivals are the perfect place to do yoga! Get control of your breathing the morning after, reset your body and stretch out ready for the next day of party. Start your day with a basic Sun salutation when you wake up; Stand tall, shoulders back hands in front of chest, fold down, let your body hang, jump back to plank, float down to chaturanga, upward dog, downward dog, jump to forward fold – start again.
- Primal movements are great to get the blood flowing and exercise in a natural, functional way that engages all our main muscle groups. Plus it’s fun to do and even more fun to watch! Just a few sets of a ‘basic crawl’ will do the trick; this is how to do it! Go down to all fours, hands under shoulders, knees under hips. Lift knees off the floor roughly 2 inches and crawl forward for 20 meters keeping this shape as best you can. Keep back flat and bum down. Try it backwards for a challenge!
- Tabata is perfect for times when you want to fit exercise into a short amount of time! Your heart rate will jump and metabolism will kick into gear immediately, staying active well after your workout too which means your body will continue to burn fat even as you go from stage to stage. Here is a basic circuit to give a go! 20 secs mountain climbers (press up position, engage core, keep back straight and hips aligned with your spine, bring your knee to elbow – to mix it up and bring your obliques into play, take knee to opposite elbow), 10 sec rest, 20 secs burpees, repeat this 4 times.
- Simple but effective! Another trusty bodyweight circuit that will do the trick and is easy to do quickly and with minimal space. Three exercises, work your way down from 10-1 of each; NO REST. 10 squats, 10 lunges, 10 press ups, 9 squats, 9 lunges, 9 press ups….and so on.
- Dance! I’m sure this will be a given but don’t underestimate the energy you will be pouring into dancing at festivals – this is a fantastic form of exercise and you won’t even know you’re doing it!
Come to our classes at BESTIVAL! – Euphoric Fitness Plus a whole programme of Yoga in the Hideaway Yoga Yurt.
Words by Jack Edwards