by Personal Trainer, Sabi Phagura
Spring has finally sprung! But after months of being under wraps, we may feel a bit daunted at shedding the layers. And if you’ve booked a summer holiday or are thinking of booking one, chances are you’re in a panic about how you’ll look in your bikini body. The good news if you start now, you’ll definitely start seeing results in a matter of weeks.
Here are my top 10 tips to getting that bikini body this summer:
1. Eat Clean – this means eating foods as close to nature as possible like fish, meat, nuts, seeds, good fats, fruit and vegetables at least 80 per cent of the time.
2. Take up exercise whether that’s walking briskly for half an hour or joining a gym class. Aim for 30 minutes at least 3-5 times a week.
3. Add some weight training to your exercise. Strength training gives you great muscle tone and burns more calories overall.
4. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes we can confuse hunger with water so it’s good to keep you water levels topped up. Try swapping tea and coffee for herbal teas.
5. Proteins help to build muscle after a grueling workout and you will need plenty if you want to get that lean bikini body ready to go according to sport nutritionist Matt Lovell. Some good sources of protein include chicken, fish, lean beef, turkey, lentils, and beans.
6. Keep your metabolism revved up by eating small meals more regularly. Your body doesn’t respond well to starvation and it wants to hold on to as much fat as it can because it kicks into survival mode.
7. Move as much as you can in your day to day life such as parking your car as far away from the supermarket, take the stairs and get off the bus a stop or two earlier.
8. Cut down on alcohol or give it up altogether as it has empty calories. If you must have a drink have a small red wine or a vodka and low calorie mixer.
9. Start cooking your own meals wherever possible. By doing this you will be cutting out processed foods naturally.
10. If you fancy a treat it’s ok to have one. Just make sure you keep an eye on the portion size and really enjoy it. This will ensure that you won’t fall off the bandwagon.
Getting a great looking bikini body does take time so don’t be one of those women who waits to the last minute to get started. But you will start to see results in a matter of weeks. Following these tips, planning, sticking to it, and giving yourself plenty of time and leeway to correct mistakes will get you the beach body you so desire this summer.
Image: SAFARI BUSTIER MAILLOT, 10441-450; AMELIA SUNGLASSES, 70497; DIP IT SARONG, S51299; All from Seafolly: http://seafolly.com/international