- 2 gala apples, diced into very small pieces
- 1 cup (160 grams) Raisins
- 1 cup (160grams) Sultanas
- 1/4 cup (20 grams) blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) hazelnuts
- 1 /2 cup (70 grams) dried apricot, diced
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed, optional
- Juice and Zest of 1/2 an orange
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
The pastry ingredients:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup Oat milk (use Rice Milk for a sweeter taste)
- 110g Vegan Margarine (we use Pure, sunflower spread)
- 4 tbs agave
Combine all the ingredients for the mince meat in a pan, add 1/2 of the water, cover and leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add more water as necessary to keep the consistency gooey (and lovely). Whilst your mincemeat cooks you can prepare the pastry.
Preheat the oven to 180 celsius. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl, then add the butter and stir until it forms a breadcrumb like texture. Slowly stir in the milk and agave until it forms into a dough. Coat the side with flour and roll out half the mixture thinly. Depending on your cookie cutter (if you don’t have any of these you can use the rim of one of your wine glasses) size you should make 12-14 mince pie bases. Place bases in muffin tins (grease beforehand). Once the mincemeat has slightly cooled place 1-2 tbsp of the mixture in each. Roll out the rest of the dough mixture and make your tops. Use a brush of water to help stick the sides together. Poke two small holes in the top, and place in the oven to cook for 15-20 minutes (or until slightly brown). Serve straight away or reheat later.
We would love to hear how you get on so please do upload your pics to our Facebook page!
Recipe by Naturally Sassy
MORE: Healthy Christmas Truffles | Healthy Christmas Porridge