Ever heard of ear seeds? We delve into this quirky wellness trend to see how they could benefit our wellbeing.
In traditional chinese medicine, acupuncture is used to clear any blockages of qi (energy) in the body. The practice uses needles to tap into the meridian, invisible pathways through which qi flows, to help with a variety of health conditions.
According to traditional chinese medicine, the ear is a microsystem of the entire body with over 200 pressure points that correspond to different areas of the body. Acupuncturists will often use acneedles to stimulate these points in order to help relieve pain, anxiety, and even boost fertility when treating their patients. The stimulation of these points is called auriculotherapy.
The use of ear seeds, also referred to as pellets, is based on the same principle of acupuncture, using pressure points to relieve blockages within the body, resulting in reduced symptoms.
So, what are ear seeds?
Ear Seeds are a simple-to-use at-home alternative to acupuncture needles. They are made either from a metal, or using seeds that come from the flowering herb, vaccaria, which is often used in chinese medicine, and put pressure on the points in the ear to which they are applied. Either variation will have an adhesive tape backing which allows them to be easily applied to the ear. For anyone who has a needle phobia, or simply doesn’t have the money to spend on acupuncture, using ear seeds at home is very cost-effective and is a great way to reap the many benefits of acupressure.
What are the benefits of ear seeds?
The benefits of using ear seeds will be different from person to person, but, like with acupuncture, they can pretty much be used to help with any ailment. As aforementioned, the ear is chock-a-block with pressure points that relate to different areas of the body, and therefore has the ability to positively affect any area that you are looking to target, both mentally and physically. Stress and anxiety are the most common problems that they have been known to help with, but they can also be used to help with pain, disrupted sleep, and even addiction.
How do you apply them?
Applying ear seeds is a completely natural and non-invasive treatment that you can do yourself in the comfort of your own home. Any kit that you buy online should come with a step by step guide of how to apply the seeds, and include a “map” of the ear, outlining placement for different ailments. However, if in doubt, follow these simple steps: \
- Clean and dry the outside of your ear before applying the seeds.
- Use a chart to identify the points in your ear where you will apply the seeds.
- Use tweezers to apply the seeds via the pre-attached adhesive tape. Press down gently with your finger to ensure they stick.
- Massage each seed gently in a circular motion for one or two minutes. Repeat throughout the day when you experience symptoms.
- You can wear you seeds for 2-3 days and they will usually fall out on their own. If still in place after 3 days, you can use either your fingers or tweezers to remove them. When removing the seeds tilt your head so that your ear is towards the ground to ensure they don’t fall into your ear canal. If one makes its way into your canal, see your GP as soon as possible.
Where can I buy ear seeds?
You can buy them from a few different places, we love Vie Healing’s 24k Gold Ear Seeds, or, if you’re a newbie to ear seeding, we recommend this beginners kit complete with e-book and placement chart to help you learn along the way.
Read more: 11 Simple Ways You Can Heal Your Gut