This Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala is made using classic Indian spices, packed with protein from the red lentils and ready in no time! Curry nights just got a whole lot tastier!
INGREDIENTS – Serves 4
400 g (2 cups) rice
3–4 garlic cloves
1⁄2 cauliflower (approx. 750 g/11⁄2 Ibs)
1–2 tbsp. olive oil
a piece of fresh ginger (approx. 2 cm/1 in.)
75 g (1⁄3 cup) red lentils
2 tsp. garam masala or curry powder
1⁄2 tsp. turmeric
1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp. chilli powder
1⁄2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. agave syrup
1 tin (400 g/2 cups) chopped tomatoes
approx. 240 ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
100 ml (1⁄2 cup) coconut milk
120 g (1⁄2 cup) soya yoghurt, coconut milk or cashew nut cream
For the topping:
toasted cashew nuts
1. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Wash the cauliflower and break into small florets. Finely grate the ginger.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the cauliflower florets and onions and fry for around 3 minutes, until the cauliflower is lightly browned and the onions are translucent.
4. Add the garlic, ginger, lentils, spices and agave syrup and fry for another minute, stirring continuously.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock. Stir well and cover, then simmer for approx. 10–15 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally until the cauliflower and lentils are well cooked.
6. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. Add the coconut milk for a creamier sauce. If the sauce is too watery, remove the lid and allow to reduce for a few more minutes until it has the desired consistency. Season to taste.
7. Remove the curry from the heat. Cover and leave to stand for a few more minutes to bring out the flavours.
8. Serve with soya yoghurt and rice. Garnish with sesame seeds, toasted cashews and fresh parsley.
Bianca Zapatka is a German-based food stylist, photographer, and blogger/Instagrammer, with over 635K followers on her channel @biancazapatka. Her book, ‘Vegan Foodporn: 100 Easy and Delicious Recipes’ is available now from Lotus Publishing.