Great British Bake Off eat your heart out! With spring on the horizon, we’re brushing up on our baking skills and we’re currently obsessed with this Blood Orange Cake from Niki Webster’s blog, Rebel Recipes. She’s kindly allowed us to share her recipe and we think you’ll love it just as much as we do!
Serves: 8-10 / Prep time: 15 minutes / Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup organic gluten-free flour
- ¾ cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 7 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 cup fresh blood orange juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest 2 oranges finely grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange blossom extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract Syrup – optional
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to Gas mark 4
- Oil then line an 8inch springform baking pan.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder and ground almonds into a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Combine the orange juice, oil, zest, vinegar, vanilla, orange and almond extracts in another bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour into the dry mixture and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for approx 45 minutes. Test by inserting a prong into the centre of the cake to see if it comes out clean.
- When cooled a little turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Drizzle with orange syrup and top with sliced blood oranges.
To make the syrup;
- Add the orange juice and maple syrup to a small pan and heat on a low heat for 5-10 minutes until the juice has reduced slightly.
- When the cake has cooled a little, drizzle the syrup over the top.
BROWSE OUR RECIPE CORNER HERE!